Google Analytics

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You're My Huckleberry Friend

For me - huckleberries bring to mind summer, bears, Audrey Hepburn, cow bells, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Shawn (Lis' sister-in-law), purple finger tips, cartoons, Mark Twain, canning jars, and the West Seattle Farmer's Market.

This past weekend, I opened up a couple jars of the huckleberries I preserved last summer - and I was transported back to the warm sunny days I spent scouring the farmer's market (specifically the Foraged and Found booth) for the elusive berries.

The berries were still plump, juicy, and slightly sweet.  After sampling a few, I gave myself a pat on the back for a canning job well done :)

The huckleberries soon became the topping for a "Huckleberry Buckle."  I managed to take a pic of the creation before I popped it in the oven, but somehow a couple pieces of the buckle disappeared before I was able to take my "after" shot.  Oh well.

"Before"


"After"


Find the recipe at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Huckleberry-Buckle-II/Detail.aspx  (Note: I didn't prepare the huckleberries as directed in the recipe.  I simply drained the canned huckleberries, and used them as the topping without any additional processing or sugar)

1 comment:

  1. Let's go berry picking this summer at the berry farm!

    ReplyDelete