Google Analytics

Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Normal" food

The other day, my mother asked me if I ever eat "normal" food (e.g. mac & cheese, fast food, spaghetti, etc).

Well - of course I do! Once I'm outside of a 60 mile radius from my house, all bets are off!  Just ask my sis.  When Ed and I visit the fam in LV - we become fast food eating maniacs!

Within the city limits, I also occasionally enjoy a bbq chicken burger from the RAM or popcorn chicken from my work's cafeteria (gasp!).

When I'm at home, I'm compelled to at least try to eat local and healthy (its the Seattle way), and since I live in Belltown - I'm even more compelled to be a foodie. 

The other night, Ed made a "normal"('ish) dish for dinner: Penne Arrabbiata (Penne w/Porcini in a Hot Tomato Sauce).  The porcini mushrooms lent a meaty taste to the dish, the sauce tasted spicy and fresh, and the penne def. made the dish feel like a splurge.  Check out the recipe below.

Recipe adapted from The Food of Southern Italy, by Carlo Middione

Ingrediants:
olive oil
3 lg garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
8 tablespoons butter
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms, re-hydrated
1 lb fresh tomatoes, cored, peeled, and crushed (save juice)
8-10 basil leaves
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 tsp red pepper
1 lb penne
1 c grated pecorino cheese

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, brown garlic in approx. 2 tbls olive oil.  Discard garlic once browned, add 2 tbls of butter, and porcini.  Cook for 5 minutes or until browned.

Add tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, red pepper, and cook for 15 minutes - stirring often.

Cook penne as directed on package (keep 1/3 c of pasta water mixed in w/pasta).

Place penne in a serving dish and pour sauce over.  Stir in remaining butter and half the cheese.  Garnish with the remaining cheese and serve.



2 comments:

  1. wow, you're blogging at 6:00am? i love the dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually - I figured out a way to set future "post" times :) Very cool

    ReplyDelete